Saturday, November 12, 2005

Being Adopted - Biological Mother

Honestly, I can write an entirely different blog just on being adopted
but since it is a part of who I am today, I will keep it here.

I was adopted at the age of one day. I have great parents who always told me about being adopted and well, I grew up pretty secure that I was loved. I always thought (which turned out to be the truth) that my biological mother had me out of wedlock and 40 years ago, you didn't keep the child.

Ironically, I rarely thought about looking for my biological parents. Once I wrote a letter when I was in college to ask for my medical history but I never received a response (20 years later I found out they answered but I never got the letter-my biological grandmother sent me a copy of what she wrote. She always wondered why I never wrote again).

Anyway (sorry this is going on and on--its tough summarizing 40 years)... when my daughter Britt was born. I thought about contacting them for the medical history. But I didn't. When Jessica was born with issues, I had to find out. Part of the guilt of having children with disabilities was those doctor questions. You know---does anyone in your family have a history of seizures, mental retardation, heart disease blah, blah, blah. How many times were you asked those questions? So imagine having to say "I dont know, I was adopted" and every doctor looking at you and saying "Oh!".

Well I started feeling like it was my fault. That it wasn't in my husband's family so they always accused me (his family actually said it. Doctors at least just gave that Oh!). Well, my biological family couldn't have been the elephant man. So I decided to search and find my biological family. I found my mother, half sister and my grandmother. My half sister (here name is Lisa too--how weird is that) is great. We talk every week and I am an only child so this is really nice. My biological mother is freaked out a little. She sent one note and a birthday card but she is having a hard time dealing with my resurfacing.

So the point of todays post?! I just got off the phone with my biological grandmother (her name is Betty just like my grandmother) for the first time. We spoke for an hour. She is the most sweetest woman I've ever spoke with. She told me that she always loved me. That she always counted me in her number of grandchildren and she always prayed that I would come back to her. How sweet. We laughed, we cried and I feel real lucky to have found her. Funny how I just spoke to someone for over an hour as if I knew her my whole life. It's a strange feeling but it definitely warms my heart.

And the good news! No one on her side of the family has all these issues so at least I know half my history. As for my biological father, he didn't want to marry my mother so that's why I was put up for adoption. He has a never generic name so it will be hard for me to track him down.

Does anyone know Chuck Taylor (Charles Taylor) who grew up in Florida (near Opa Locka) in the 1950's-60's. He's probably around 65 now and supposedly he was a Detective or on the police force in Miami or somewhere in Florida. Wouldnt' it be funny if I found him because of this post?!?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was very touching. It's great that you have established a relationship with your granny after so long a time. I never knew any of my grandparents and to this day I truly wish I had. Enjoy each other.

Pilgrim said...

Oh, that is an amazing story. What a testimony to the power of the prayers of your biological grandmother. I'm so glad she got to find you, after all those years, when she was thinking of you. And that you have a good relationship with your half-sister. And how interesting with the names being the same.
May God bring healing to your biological mother.

Lisa said...

Thanks! My biological mother had a lot of loss that time in her life (her two brothers died in an accident I think two years before I was born). Then she had to lose me as well. She has a hard time with emotions and her own feeling. I do hope she does find peace with this. I would hate for us to never get to know each other.

Anonymous said...

hello